Thursday, September 27, 2012

Black trumpet mushroom and fennel risotto

I remember making risotto when I lived in Sweden and Jakob moved to Barcelona before me. It was     my Friday treat. I served it to myself with loads of parmesan cheese and a glass of wine. It made me feel happy. 

On Friday I also made risotto here in Cambridge. I missed it. This risotto is clearly autumn inspired.

RECIPE for two

1 cup risotto rice or medium-grain rice
3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 kg assorted wild mushrooms (in this case black trumpet)
1 fennel bulb
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Fresh thyme

As you know, risotto is a traditional Italian rice dish and involves stirring small amounts of broth into the rice a little time at a time. So, you have to be patient.

Fry the chopped fennel in olive oil with and add some salt. When the the fennel is soft, take some away for the final presentation. Add the mushrooms. After five minutes you can add the rice and in two minutes it will look slightly translucent. Now the risotto method starts: keep adding the broth bit by bit and stirring until the rice is soft but with a slight bite.

Remove from the heat, add the butter and leave it rest 2 minutes with a lid. Then serve with the parmesan, the thyme and the rest of the fennel and some more mushrooms if you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment